I thought I will have time to post more, but that’s not the case… between hospital hours and house chores I don’t have too much time for my projects but I need to try more in the future…
For the past week, I have been working on and off on 2 chairs brought from eBay for a fiver and one small coffee table. The end result:
After my previous experience with chalk paint, wax, and homemade chalk like paint I kept looking for more options on what I could use for a better end finish. That’s how I discovered Little Green Paint. I was very excited and soon was looking for a place to buy it but I didn’t really want to pay the price… obviously the quality you can’t expect it to be cheap!
That’s how I found on eBay 1l + postage for just 10 quid. This was the paint that I used on chairs: Boxington 84 – a reduced lime with added red iron oxide. Here you can see a before and after picture.
After the paint dried I did sand it a bit and applied 2 layers of Polyvine. I don’t know if it was necessary, but it can’t hurt. For the seats I didn’t want to spend too much money and was considering 3 fabrics that I had in the house:
I do love the final result! and I wished I had more space in my house to fit these items, but unfortunately I don’t, thus it will have to go for sale.
Now… The table comes from a set of 3 vintage tables that I got at a car boot sale and this is the middle one. I have no idea the manufacturing year, but I do think is somewhere 1950 maybe and is possible a reproduction with hand carved legs from what I can tell.
I can only show here the end result because I forgot to take a before picture but is pretty straight forward on the steps I did to make it look like this: clean, prime, paint, stencil, coat…
Now, the story of the paint is again about how I got a bargain. Was at work and had one of those rare moments when I can spare 5 min and was again on eBay looking at paint. My lovely colleague saw that and mentioned that she has a 2.5l Little Green paint in her car… Price? 15 quids! Yey… is gonna be mine! It was Little Green Intelligent Mat Emulsion in Welcome 109. I thought the white was a bit too bright and too boring so to start with I mixed some acrylic light purple in that didn’t do much, then… I have added some ultramarine blue (lip safe) colour from my days when I was doing handmade soap. It worked like a charm although, I did add 2 tablespoons for 200 ml of emulsion. The end result you can see it and is amazing! I feel like doing all my next projects with this shade.
The top stencil was purchased on Amazon from Americana Decor. This was my first time trying a stencil on furniture and I did learn a few things:
- make sure the piece of furniture is positioned correctly! Don’t do it like me the other way around and then I had to go over with primer, paint, top coat again.
- if you use an acrylic black (like I did) DO NOT cover with Polyvine… it will smudge (you still can see it a bit in the pictures). I sprayed a thick layer of Plasti-Cote 1138 then, after drying, I did a coat with Polyvine for a mat effect and at the end of the day this also have added to the protection and, most likely, is a hard wearing top table!
I leave you with a few more pictures: